Helping You Honor and Glorify God in All You Think, Do, Say, and Feel

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Holiness of God...

Posted:  Feb. 25, 2010


While studying for my sermon Sunday I've realized more and more that I have no concept of the holiness of God. If I did, my life would be completely different. 
Our lives as Christians go something like that, don't they?
We think we've got a grip on God and what following Him is all about, but then He opens our eyes a little more and we fall to our knees because we realize how unrighteous and unholy and irreverent we've treated Him, viewed Him and talked to and about Him. 
I feel like Job during these times. It seems that God says... "Who are you, little man on the earth known as Tim Camp, not to honor me by putting ME first when you make ANY of "your" decisions? Who are you to say "you" figured something out or made something grow or caused this or that to happen? Who are you to say "you" helped this person or that person with this or that issue? Was it not ME who was working in you to accomplish MY good pleasure by giving you the desire and passion to accomplish those things in the first place (Philippians 2:12-13)? Was it not "I" that said that apart from ME you can't do ANYTHING, but if you abide in ME you will bear much fruit (John 15:5)?
Yes, we can come boldly before the throne of God without being afraid of being "squashed" because of our unworthiness. And, yes, we are God's children, and an heir also because of, and through Jesus our Savior. But how often I forget that I am serving a holy and righteous God and I am to come before Him in REVERENCE!!!
I am here on earth. God's Throne is in Heaven... may I be careful with my words, quick to listen and obey, and slow to speak so my words to my Holy Lord will be reverent and give honor to Him. 
We would be wise to recognize "our place". 
Please don't think I'm saying we cant speak our heart to God... God knows our heart anyway (Psalm 44:21; 139:1-4). What I'm saying is that - in our "routine" of being "open" and "real" with God, we tend to forget that we are talking and communing with the Most High and Holy God of ALL gods. 
Questions: 
1. Have you been approaching God as God, or simply someone else on the list of "To Do's"?
2. Do your prayers and actions say that you have a reverence for God?
3. Have you forgotten that it is God who works His will and pleasure in you and that you are nothing without Him?
4. Are there things in your heart and life that you need to change in order to show others that you have a reference for God?
5. Do you (like me) need to ask God's forgiveness for not living with reverence towards Him?
6. Will you pray for strength to live as an example of someone that has a holy reverence for God?
7. Will you help others do the same?
Thanks for listening to my thoughts while I'm studying Ecclesiastes 5 and Job 38-40
PT

No comments:

Post a Comment