Helping You Honor and Glorify God in All You Think, Do, Say, and Feel

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Who are we fighting against?

Posted: April 5, 2010


While meditating on Romans 12 this morning, verse 9 hit me like a ton of bricks.

Romans 12:9 starts out with a four word sentence that says, "Let love be genuine." 
I can handle that, I think. On the surface it seems to be something "doable" and not 
so difficult. However, when you throw flattery and loving someone for what you can 
get out of the situation and such... Then it gets more complicated. Ok, I need to be 
careful to recognize that I need help there... But that's not what really got me today.

It was the next part of verse 9, "Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.

I had a note I had scribbled in at one time that asked the following question: 
"Do you rebel against God, or (Satan) evil?

I didn't write a date beside this one so I don't know when I wrote it, but it floored me
as I asked myself that simple question again today.

I realized, once more, that I am battling the Lord far too much, and far more often than
 I'm willing to publically announce.

I began to think through many of the times I've recently sinned and tried to define 
the reasons I sinned instead of glorifying God by being His obedient servant. 
I found no good reason for me (us) to rebel against God.

Too many to count were the times I've given into temptation and my flesh because I "wanted to". 
So, in other words, instead of wanting to please God, I wanted to please myself.

The ironic thing is that's how God designed us to be! We are made to follow what pleases
 us the most, so, whatever we get the most pleasure in, that's what we go for. If we receive 
the most pleasure from sin, we pursue it. If we receive the most pleasure from God, 
we pursue Him. However, as Lewis put it, "we are far too easily pleased." (meaning, 
too easily pleased by sin and earthly or temporary things).

Because of our flesh we tend to follow the flesh. We follow the LIE  that our flesh feeds us,
 and so in turn we feed our flesh because it's offering (temporary) pleasures and satisfaction; 
which ultimately end up destroying us.

However, if we are born again, Christians, followers of Jesus - our deepest desire 
and joy and comfort and peace and pleasure comes from honoring and pleasing and 
finding our ultimate satisfaction in God and God alone! But that's not so easy to live 
because many times we "buy the LIE" of the flesh instead of seeing it for what it truly is.

In order to live our lives finding God as our ultimate pleasure, we must fight the LIE that 
Satan and our flesh are offering us and wage war against them both! We must 
"Abhor what is evil; (&) hold fast to what is good." we must put Eph. 6:10-29 into action and live it!

So I ask you, as I ask myself today:

1. Do you rebel against God, or Satan?

2. Who do you fight against the most, God or Satan?

3. Do you hold fast and firm to what God says is good; if not, then why?

4. What do you (we) need to change in order to "fight the good fight 
of faith and finish the course" in a way that glorifies God and shows 
others that HE is our greatest peace and pleasure?

5. Now, find someone you can partner with that will help hold you 
accountable, be a Godly teammate with whom you can fight against Satan and your 
flesh, and who will help you love and hold fast to what God loves and 
desires you to do.

PT

No comments:

Post a Comment